Wig Buyer's Guide
If you are new to wigs and toppers, it can be a little intimidating. This important Wig & Topper Buyer’s Guide will help you navigate your way through the process.
I’m Andrea, and I am the owner of Wig Studio 1. I have hair loss from Trichotillomania and wear wigs often. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us. Most of our team members have hair loss and they would be honored to assist you.
Private Facebook Group: www.facebook.com/groups/wigandtopperhelp/
Step 1: Measuring Your Head
While average size wigs tend to fit about 85% of customers, you will find that quite a few wigs also come in petite and large sizes.
Consider that many also have adjustable straps that give up to 1/2" so that you can achieve a more comfortable and personalized fit.
To determine the right size wig for you, you’ll need to measure the circumference of your head from the front hairline, behind your ear, to the nape of your neck, to your other ear and then back to the front hairline. (See below diagram and link to video).
While you are measuring, you’ll need to write down your measurements and then review the diagram below: Please note that sizes may vary slightly by brand and that not all wigs are available in all cap sizes.
***Please note that sizes may vary slightly by brand and that not all wigs are available in all cap sizes***
View the below video link with instruction on how to measure your head correctly. https://youtu.be/UmWT1TVnnkk?list=PLsIBh0m1OjaRjj49_wRCq1noAr6adxTwE
Step 2: Style
www.WigStudio1.com allows you to easily narrow your search by length – Short Wigs, Medium-Length Wigs and Long Wigs.
If this is your first wig, I recommend choosing a style that you are already familiar with. For example, a style that is very close to your existing biological hair style.
A more drastic change can always be made later as you become more comfortable in wearing your wig. Wearing wigs is actually a lot of fun! Imagine having a “good hair day” everyday!!
And all of the endless styling and color flexibility! Have fun experimenting with a variety of looks! Certain face shapes are flattered by certain styles.
Step 3: What Type of Hair is Right for You?
When considering how a wig is structured, think about the hair type as well as the cap construction.
Both Human Hair and Synthetic Hair have advantages and limitations, which make them the right choice in different situations.
Step 4: What Type of Cap Construction is Right for You?
Different cap constructions have a different method of attaching hair to the cap, and each has its own set of advantages.
100% Hand Tied Caps
- With each hair on the entire cap being hand-tied to the cap, it creates the most natural movement, as each hair moves freely
- The softest and most comfortable cap, it's ideal for a sensitive scalp
- You can comb the hair in any direction, which offers more styling versatility
- Creates the illusion of natural hair growth from the scalp where the hair is parted
- Each hair is individually hand-tied to a sheer base (but not entire cap)
- Can be found just at the crown, along a pre-defined part or across the full top
- A full mono top allows for parting & styling versatility
- A double mono has an extra layer of soft material for added comfort
- Creates the illusion of a natural-looking front hairline
- Each hair is individually hand-tied to a section of sheer lace (but not entire cap)
- Allows for a natural look when styling hair away from or off of the face
- Includes both Capless (also known as Open Cap) and Traditional constructions
- Most durable & affordable
- Most or all of the cap has open wefting for better air ventilation to help keep you cool
- Often gives the hair a natural lift with built-in volume at the crown
- Basic caps tend to have a good amount of If you are not comfortable with permatease, we recommend going with a wig with either a monofilament part or a full monofilament top to reduce the amount of permatease.
Here is a video by Jon Renau on the different cap constructions available: https://youtu.be/2nIVGlNEXOE
Step 5: What Color is Right for You?
Most of our styles have an array of many different color choices.
As you determine styles you like, you can begin to review the colors available.
If this is your first wig purchase, consider staying close to your natural shade to ease the transition. A great resource for all new wig wearers is YouTube! Here are some channels that we recommend.
- Wig Studio 1 You Tube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/WigStudio1
- Crazy Wig Lady - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEAunuE2cY9kFrgF1k3D6Hg
- Taz's Wig Closet @ Wig Studio 1 - https://www.youtube.com/user/tazmaniax2
- Wiggin' with Christi - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmSmQEOWlB_jsznFR0zedHA
- Marlene's Wig and Chat Studio - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4NxWJgtOYMwJE0kv6W8CIQ
Step 6: How Do I Care for My New Hair?
It’s important not to forget about caring for your new hair. Proper hair care will allow your piece to last longer. Once you have your beautiful wig or topper, you will want to do all you can to keep it looking fantastic.
Consider a Human Hair Care Kit or a Synthetic Hair Care Kit to cleanse and care for your new hair.
These are available in a variety of places, but you are welcome to Browse Hair Care and Styling Products here: https://www.wigstudio1.com/collections/all-hair-care-styling-products
Don’t forget to reach out if you have questions! Purchasing a wig can be a bit overwhelming, but it doesn’t
have to be. We are here to help!
Wishing you the best, Andrea
Phone: 1-877-594-3001 – Offering a call back solution from one of our Personal Hair Consultants
Live Chat: Live Chat is available on our website during regular business hours. The can be accessed by clicking the Help Button on the bottom right side of the website.